In response to requests from our customers in the Western United States where refuse collection vehicle weight is of greater importance, Heil Environmental introduces the Half/Pack® Sierra Western U.S. front loader. The Half/Pack Sierra offers all the features and benefits of Heil's recently updated Half/Pack front loader, with 13 percent less weight.
We took the industry's best-selling front loader for more than 20 years, and analyzed which components of the body were the most critical to durability and performance, then we used sophisticated, high-strength steels to make those components both stronger and lighter.
The resulting 40-cubic-yard Half/Pack Sierra weighs just 16,700 lbs. vs. 19,300 lbs. for the same size standard Half/Pack body. Both bodies offer payloads up to 1,200 lbs./yd3, a packer cycle time of 22 to 26 seconds and arm cycle times of 18 to 20 seconds.
Staying Safe in the Cab
Heil's exclusive Shur-Lock™ hydraulic tailgate lock system enables the vehicle operator to unlock the tailgate, discharge the load and then secure the tailgate, all without leaving the safety of the vehicle cab. The system, combined with a 68-inch vertical seal, reduces the chance of leakage from the tailgate while the Half/Pack Sierra is on the route.
Giving You the Helping Hand
The Half/Pack Sierra also features Heil's patented clamp-on arms. This arm system reduces maintenance requirements and makes it possible to change arms in a fraction of the time required for bolt-on or welded arms.
The Half/Pack Sierra can be used for commercial collection or fitted with a carry can (such as the new Bayne front load carry can) for residential collection.
Maybe Size, Not Weight, Does Matter!
The Half/Pack Sierra also offers the largest front loader hopper in the industry, 12 yd3, to better handle large or over-filled containers. It is the only lightweight front loader with double-wall hopper sides to protect against punctures and protrusions that can lead to corrosion. The hopper sides are made with 145,000 psi steel plates for improved rigidity and durability. A curved top door better seals the hopper opening to prevent blowing debris and provide an overall lower body height.
The Half/Pack Sierra features the Half/Pack's recognizable curved body design, which is stronger, easier to clean and more resistant to rust and corrosion than any other body shape. The body sides are constructed of 110,000 psi steel. The body's flat floor eliminates the trough found in other front loader designs that can crack and require frequent cleaning. The Half/Pack Sierra's floor is made of 145,000 psi 400 Brinell abrasion-resistant steel plate for long life. Underneath it all, the Half/Pack Sierra is built on Heil's unique fully welded, interlaced subframe to help the body withstand the stresses of large payloads and rough landfill terrain.
Half/Pack Sierra Offerings Include:
- New curved top door helps prevent loose debris from escaping by better sealing off the hopper opening.
- Radius of top door better conforms to body, which allows it to ride on 4 inch lower tracks.
- 32 gallon, dual door hopper sump is standard and larger than previous optional hopper sump.
- Non-inverted cab shield doesn’t catch trash.
- Single piece, 8 ga 80,000 PSI minimum yield upper hopper side panels. Note –Upper brace on new version of the Half/Pack is formed structure for added strength, not a piece of channel.
- Cleaner arm cylinder hydraulics. Note –Hoses routed under rather than over cylinder.
- Cleaner valve assembly hydraulics. Note –Less spaghetti, cleaner routing.
- Non-inverted cab shield allows for larger front head screen closure. New Half/Pack is 51" x 79" as the old Half/Pack design was 39" x 79".
- Cross members are 6" x 3" (17.25" centers in high compaction zone and 21.5" centers in low compaction zone) on new, and were 5" x 4" (approx 15" centers) on the previous model. Cross members are full width and capped by angle.
- Slight change to tailgate prop mechanism. New rest is in a pocket rather than on a pin.